When There's Love at Home

When There's Love at Home

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

For the Strength of ADULTS!

All my life growing up leaders counseled me again and again to abide by the counsel in our "For the Strength of Youth" pamphlet. It was a wonderful tool for me growing up to have clearly outlined instructions on basically what I should and shouldn't do! But, what I'm realizing is that this pamphlet doesn't just apply to the youth, but it truly will strengthen anyone who reads it, and I know that as we heed its counsel that we will blessed in so many ways! Although as I've grown older, not all of it applies specifically to us anymore (like the dating section lol), but there are certain sections that give me the guidance that I need to choose the right!

Here are some thoughts from the first presidency of the Church on this pamphlet. "We promise as you keep these standards and live by the truths in the scriptures, you will be able to do your life's work with greater wisdom and skill and bear trials with greater courage. You will have the help of the Holy Ghost. You will feel good about yourself and will be a positive influence in the lives of others. You will be worthy to go to the temple to receive holy ordinances. These blessings and many more can be yours!"

So, let me pick out a section that I think every adult needs to read and apply to their lives! "Entertainment and the Media: Whatever you read, listen to, or look at has an effect on you. Therefore, choose only entertainment and media that uplift you. Good entertainment will help you make righteous choices. It will allow you to enjoy yourself without losing the spirit of the Lord."

It goes on to say straightforwardly "Do not attend, view, or participate in entertainment that is vulgar, immoral, violent, or pornographic in any way. Do not participate in entertainment that in ANY WAY present immorality or violent behavior as acceptable."

WOW! How much clearer can you get than that? I just feel that we all have become so immune to the horrible movies, tv shows, and music that society wants us to feel is okay to watch and enjoy. To me, society is trying to brainwash us all, especially our children by slipping in immoral, vulgar, and violent content into each and every movie that is produced! And I think if we don't have the courage to say no to degrading movies, than how will our children have the courage! By us paying to see these horrible things, it shows society that we want more of this stuff. So, we need to take a stand, and go to this website "http://kids-in-mind.com/" before any movie we watch and see if the content of the movie would be acceptable for us to watch in the Lord's eyes before we go see it! At least that way we don't waste our money!

I have had my own personal experience in this area as of late. I went to see the movie "He's just not that into you" with some other girls. The commercials appeared cute and "chick flickish." I did not see any immorality or vulgarity by watching it's preview. Unfortunately, I did not go to that the website I listed to view the content and just decided to see it anyways. Man, was that the WORST decision ever. I couldn't believe that a pg-13 movie could be so horrible. Lets just say it was immoral, not just that, but it DEGRADED anything that was or even could be moral. It made immoral things the "norm" and acceptable. And it was horrifically graphic. Not only that, but it was also vulgar. I unfortunately did not walk out of it, and I will forever regret that I did not stand up for what was right. I had a sick feeling in my stomach after watching it, and I couldn't believe how bad I felt. I definitely did not feel uplifted at all. This is actually only one movie of many that are out there. Basically almost every hollywood movie that is worse than PG is too bad to watch anymore. I have decided for myself, that if it is not going to bring uplifting or morally clean thoughts into my mind, then I should not waste my precious time watching these movies. And I hope that all of us can commit to do the same! And for those of you who might say, that there are not ANY good movies out there, then please watch the following: "The Ultimate Gift (2006)" and "Fireproof" and of course, all of the good "oldies" like "The sound of Music"are family friendly!!

I know with a surety that as we strive to watch only good, clean, and uplifting entertainment we will have the Holy Ghost with us to guide us and we will be happier, and be able to enjoy the comfort that comes when we choose the right! And that spirit will fill our homes and our children and our whole family will be blessed!!!

1 comment:

Chapman Channel said...

You are sweet!--way to preach the gospel of good media! Yay for good movies and Boo for Trash!!